Wednesday 21 August 2013

Loneliness

    I've picked this post title because this is what I think is the general atmosphere in the shots to come. I am going to say how I managed to get low light shots even with kit lenses. Actually, I used   55-200 Tamron f4-5.6, so that's not exactly bright. But still, I managed to get some shots that I'm proud of. One setting that was constant was the ISO 3200 and the exposure was one stop underexposed, and then I brought it back in Lightroom. I underexposed the pictures to get a fast enough shutter speed to capture the moment.
    Okay, let's jump straight into the pictures...
I like the colors in the first picture. Also, I like how leading lines draw you into the picture.

Obviosly, when using kit lenses, you won't get big apertures, so that means you'll have to create some interesting effects using a slow shutter speed. This is exactly the case, where the little girl is sharp, while the 2 cyclissts in the background are motion blured. Also, from what I'm seeing, one of them might be actually looking down at the little girl.

I saw a cool picture on the internet and decidd to give mine a similar look. I achieved this in post-processing by decreasin the white balance down to 2000K. This allowed me to get a chilly atmosphere.

What I do at night is take bursts of  shots. So, out of 5 pictures, this exact one was the only one usable because of the low shutter speed. Now this is the picture that basicaly gave this post its title, because it gives you a sense of isolation. One more thing, even though my night shots are usually in black and white, don't be afraid to experiment by going color. Also, don't worry too much about ISO, if the picture is nicely framed, nicely exposed and gives you feelings about it, people won't care that there might be a little too much noise here and there. It's the moment captured that really matters, not the ISO.

Thanks again, and, if you hadn't already, please check my website to see my portfolio. It's still under construction, but I think it will turn out nice :).


No comments:

Post a Comment