Thursday 19 September 2013

Black backgroung pictures

    Yes, I know the title sonds quite dull, but it describes best what I did the last weekend. Basicaly, I raed on the internet several times about how to make your background black during daylight, but never tried it before. I had the oportunity to take some portraits with this technique, but having only one flash, I didn't want to screw things up, especially cause those pictures were for my MTB's team website.
edit: I just realized, a couple weeks later, that this post was kept as a draft, I forgot to press the xPUBLISH buton... never the less, I will soon put up another post, going back to the "origins".
The way I did it is this: I underexposed the background until it was nearly black, then put a flash to iluminate the subject. Then, in post, I put some background and, with a brush, I cleared the remaining spots of light from the backgrounds.

This method works best with portraits, because you won't get the floor iluminated by the flash. Still, this is a good way to get rid of a nasty background.

This was just an experiment, I wouldn't necessairly do this to a serious shooting, but it feels good to know you can allways come back to this technique when you need it.

One thing I learned from sports photographers is that behind the scenes images worth just as much as the action ones, if not more. Actually, funny thing, there was a contest at a tennis tournament. One of my pictures was a non-action shot, otherwise 99% of all shots entered in the contest were action pictures. And, surprize, I won that contest with that static image.

Also, sometimes black and white works really good with sports...

I've got a surprize coming up, some shots from my phone, and I'll explain how I took them. Trust me, you won't believe those were taken with a cell phone...
Thanks again, and don't forget to check out my portfolio at tudorsphotos.weebly.com, untill that surprize :)


No comments:

Post a Comment